Thursday

Start using Google Alerts

What is Google Alerts? You probably never head of it, right? You only know how to use Google to search topics that you type into the Google website. Why make your life more complicated. Let the web do the work for you. How do you do this? You can do this by using Google Alerts. Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results based on your choice of query or topic.

In simple terms, you type in keywords you would like to have Google "search" and Google will email you directly whenever that keyword is used on a website, blog etc. Let's look at one example. Let's say I have an interest in a particular celebrity; in this case I will choose "Coldplay". I want to know everything about Coldplay like when the next concert is going to be held, new stories about them basically anything about the music group. I log in to the Google Alerts site and type in the Keyword "coldplay". I have the option to have Google find the term in just blogs, news sites or just have it search everywhere on the web. All this info will be sent to me directly into my email. You can see how this is useful for other things like following your favourite sports teams or even keywording your own name. You will be able to see whenever anyone is using your name on the web because you'll receive an email stating the location of where your keyword was used. This is also a great way to keep current on a competitor or industry. This is an interesting way to control and make the web work for you.

Try it here Google Alerts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also use google alerts for my own blog it does really work keep up the great work...